Sunday, December 21, 2014

Technology, a real funny thing.

By Arnia Kiara Oosthuizen

Technology is a funny thing, don't you think? Some people have no idea what it is. Some people had to adapt to it and others grew up with it.

This past week, when we were on holiday, we were three generations in the home. My grandparents, my parents and me and my sister. I realized that we differ so much in the way that we use technology.

How my grandparents use technology
My grandparents are pretty good with technology, seeing as they only recently started using it. My grandma uses Whatsapp, Skype and Facebook, which I think is great! But she constantly asks me to help her out with things on her phone. They also use their laptop to play games like Solitaire and other card games.

How most parents are
I must say, my parents are fairly good with technology. My mom often struggles with things like remotes for the TV and DVD machines and she will sometimes appear like the woman above, but she is better than me in social media and all things digital. My mom is a real social media devotee. My dad is also really good with technology. In our home, we are constantly trying out new stuff. The newest is the Apple TV.

How my generation is 
Forgetting to look up. Forgetting to face reality. Social media, not really being social, with the people around you. Yes, this is my generation.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. Albert Einstein said that once in one of my dreams.