Saturday, April 4, 2015

Disney and THE ONE...

By Arnia Kiara Oosthuizen

Constantly looking for the One around every corner and turn? Well, I say stop it!

"What? Are you serious?
You expect me to sit
around and wait for
some guy to come and
save me? I'm going to
law school in August
and as soon as I'm out of
this dump I'm reporting
my stepsisters  and
stepmother to the police
for harassment and slave labour.


I remember when I was younger, I used to dress up to go to the mall, thinking that there will be lots of hot guys and maybe, just maybe one of them will ask my number. Forgetting to enjoy the moment with my friends or family.

In high school, you believed the guy you are dating will be the One. You held on to them for dear life, believing you won't find another.

At university, every guy you even talk to, you do that thing where you imagine how it would be to be with them. Maybe even envision marriage. Believing there is only one ONE! Scary, ain't it?

I blame Disney for this lame belief. The belief that you HAVE to find the one when you are young. The belief that only a prince/man can save you. How about saving yourself, being your own hero?



Guess what? There are multiple ONE's! There are like 20 in your country, one in France, one in Ireland, like 1 million in America and 1 billion in China, who will be THE ONE for you.
How you meet people is about location, for instance you won't meet the one who is in China, if you are in South Africa. It is about the same interests, it is about timing, etc...
And the best part is, you will find one another when the time is right and your paths cross. It might be when you are 17 or when you are 31, who knows? And who worries????

I have so much that I still want to do before I meet my soulmate. I am not ready to meet them. I want to travel the world, live in my own place and I want to get a good job, before I meet the guy. But my interests differ from other people and I get that. I just want to make sure that I am making the right choice before I commit to a lifetime decision.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ye, I also used to believe that if I go to the mall I would meet "the one" when I was younger but then I watched 'Mulan'' and that became one of my favourite Disney heroines