Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Power of words

By Arnia Kiara Oosthuizen

The power of words are amazing.

Quote in a coffee shop
The reason why I say that words are amazing is because of the power it has.
The other day, I had an interview to work at the Aardklop Music Festival, here in South-Africa. It wasn't really an interview because the people already know me, so we just started talking about random things. The discussion ended up with the power of words.

The manager said that words can either get you this job or it cannot. That got me thinking about the power of words.

The way how they can cut like knives. The way they can make your day.

Words can start a relationship. Words can end it. Words can start a war or end it.

I have always loved words and the way how you can make art with them and how you can write magic in the form of a book. I, myself, could never really find the right words to say or write to make magic, but I really love reading and how every author has his own voice and his own magic in his books, but still using the same words. I love reading poems, where the words have so many meanings. MAGIC!

But words can also cut like knives and somehow you never quite forget the knives that stabbed you. I still remember how people bullied me in primary school, which is quite a few years ago. I still remember how people said mean things to me in high school and also at university.

Lately, I needed a lot of inspiration to get me through my studies because it got quite tough with studies and the picture above, which I took in the coffee shop, gave me the needed inspiration to keep on going. Yes, these words inspired me to STOP GIVING UP!!!!!


Go and watch this video on Youtube, because it perfectly describes what I mean in a song!!!

We should be careful with what we say because it has so much power. We should rather try to make magic with our words and make it art, instead of hurting people.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Words really are MAGIC, that is why I love to write to get to know myself. Crazy, isn't it? 'People should think before they speak' is a saying that will never get old.