Thursday, November 6, 2014

Freedom of hate speech?

By Arnia Kiara Oosthuizen

I love my country for the richness we have in races, cultures, beliefs and just the diversity. I love that we braai and watch rugby, that we have things like Heritage Day. I love the fact that we have Human Rights and the fact that we have Freedom of Speech.

But when did our Freedom of Speech become freedom of hate speech? How can you hate people so much, just based on their race, religion or culture? Why can't you let go of the past. The past that already made history books. It's so 20 years ago, bru!

Yeah, before I was born I stood in front of a machine, telling it which race I wanted to be and how I wanted to look. But with choosing a race I would either be stupid and good for nothing or I would be the boss of everything and the most clever race there is...

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a celebrity here in South-Africa making a big noise on social media about Apartheid. Here is the article, if you want to read it:

Hofmeyr faces Twitter backlash after apartheid post

The singer, Steve Hofmeyr, said that black people were the architects of Apartheid. This really infuriates me. In what century is he living? Apartheid has been over for 20 years. Who gives a rat's ass, who the architects of Apartheid was? I believe that he is one of the architects of Apartheid, especially if he can't leave Apartheid where it is: In history books. Where it belongs. But he keeps bringing it up, because he can't let go of his hate for other races. He told the media that he is not racist, but actions speak louder than words, my friend. 

I am 21 years old and Apartheid is just another story in the history books to me, but luckily my mom also raised me to respect EVERYONE and that no one is inferior to another.  THANK YOU, MOM!

Sexy Karabo and me!

Some of my best friends are black and coloured. If I was a racist, I would've missed out on all these amazing friendships. That would've been a shame! I would like to say to Steve that he is really missing out and that he is boring, because he only knows his own race and culture. 

Me, Granville, Margerethe, Martin and JJ

Me, Suvahn and her bf

I have always been a very curious person about other people's beliefs. I find it most interesting to learn about all the religions, cultures and races. I once wrote a blog post about working in a shoe shop, here I learned that they have very funny perceptions of  white people, but I absolutely loved it and corrected them on those perceptions, but if we never try to learn from them, how will we ever know? 

All I want to say to people, who hate so much: 
You are missing out. You are the dumb one, move on and go sit in the hate corner with all the other losers. The only hate you have, is the hate for yourself! 
AND YOU ARE MISSING OUT! STOP BEING A LOSER, LOSER! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

People who hate just need a BIG blanket of LOVE. You should just go and hug all of those "haters" in the corner then walk away.