Saturday, March 14, 2015

How to beat the student poorness....

By Arnia Kiara Oosthuizen

Everyone has been there... that time when you count the cents in your pocket. Or when you binge on Two Minute noodles or tuna. When you measure everything you buy and how much drinks you could have bought with it. When you are nice to people in clubs, so they would buy you drinks, because entrance just made you poor. Have you ever experienced this?

Yes, we have all had the student poorness syndrome.

I am a student, who is always keen for jobs or holiday jobs. I have worked at shoe shops, at lawyers, at daycare centers, you name it! I also work at university at the Reading Labs, where we help first year students to better their reading skills, so they can do better in their academics. But then, we came across the idea to buy t-shirt strips and make headbands, armbands and necklaces from it.

A braided headband

A double finger weave armband

A sailor's knot headband
We had a market day at the residence, where I did pretty well. But then I decided to go bigger. I am going to sell my things at Life Market. "The LIFE Market is a local market where fresh, interesting and out of the ordinary food can be found. In addition to the really good food, you can also find decor and clothing goods".

I decided to take a chance and try to get into the Life Market. They are a very prestige market with beautiful things every time. It is a bad place to go if you have money, because you want to buy every single thing. The e-mail came through that I am approved for the market. I am looking forward to sell it!

I hope this will help to cure the student poorness, which I am suffering from! But I also enjoy making these things, it is therapeutic and relaxing.

The things a student will do for money is amazing! You just have to get something that is worthwhile to do!

What have you done for student jobs, just to survive?

2 comments:

Karen at MomAgain@40 said...

I am sure you are glad about all the experiences you have had while doing all these? ;-)

Millennium Lady said...

Yes, it has taught me a lot and it is fun!