Thursday, November 21, 2013

Eager beaver for holiday jobs

By Arnia Kiara Oosthuizen




"Mirror, mirror, on the wall. Who's the poorest of them all?"
"Students!"

I never understood it when people said that students are the poorest of them all, up until I became one of them. Counting change has become a common habit between me and my friends.

I am not a lazy person and I love to earn my own money. I had been doing holiday jobs, since I was 16. My first holiday job was at my baby sister's daycare. I had to look after kids between the ages of 6-10 years old. I was responsible for their holiday program and looking after them.

I am currently working in retail at a shoe shop. It is hard work, but I keep telling myself that it is good money to help out with my studies.

I also occasionally babysit a couple's daughter. She is a real sweetheart and she is not difficult when it comes to bedtime. In fact, when she's tired, she climbs in bed. She doesn't need bedtime stories or lullabies. She just sleeps.

This past September holiday, I worked at a festival called Aardklop. It is a Afrikaans music and culture festival. It was the most fun job I ever had. We also met a lot of local stars. See the photo above of me and Matthys Roets.

Next year, I am starting to work at my university's Reading lab. This reading lab is set in place for first year students to learn to read. The shocking thing is that people can't read anymore. This reading course is compulsory to all the first year students. You have to pass the subject, in order to get your degree. I will just be an assistant in these reading labs. I am very excited!

With these holiday jobs, I have paid for a lot of things, including a French tour to Paris.

No comments: