Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 3: One of my greatest fears

By Arnia Kiara Oosthuizen

Today is day 3 of the #writersbootcampZA and the challenge is to write about One of my greatest fears. The challenge was given last night at 6 pm, since then I have done a bit of introspection about my greatest fears and which one stands out. Now, like I have mentioned on day 1, my big fear is the dark, but it is not my GREATEST FEAR!


My greatest fear is the fear of being MEDIOCRE

I don't want to be the girl in the crowd, who no one notices and just walks past without thinking or looking twice. I want the people to look, walk on and have the urge to just look back. 

I have always been afraid of being mediocre/normal/plain/unnoticeable and not being remembered.... I always had to do things to make me stand out from the crowd, to show that I am better. 

I have always imagined myself having an exotic job and an exotic life with a man who fits into the lifestyle with me. It can still come true, because I still have my whole life in front of me. I just have to dream big and everything I do, must be towards my goal. But yes, I am afraid of ending up behind a desk and no one even knows my name. I have this picture in my head, where I walk to the office next to me and I ask them a favor and they reply: "Sorry, but who are you?" I think I would die right there. 

I want to be the type of person you meet and afterwards you can't stop talking about how cool I am or how I have changed your perspective about things. I just want to be remembered. Am I crazy for feeling like this? 

I don't want to lead a normal life and I most certainly don't want to be normal. Yes, that is my greatest fear.

2 comments:

Karen du Toit said...

You are noticed already, and you will have the life that you create yourself!

Unknown said...

Everybody is weird and crazy, there is no such thing as 'normal'.