Tuesday, January 21, 2014

This bookworm is not happy!

By Arnia Kiara Oosthuizen

I HATE it when I am excited to start reading a book and I spend 2-3 days on this book, just to come to the end and say WTF?

The mysteries: Robert McGill
Rating: 2/10
Genre: Crime fiction


I am crazy about crime fiction. I love to solve the crime with the cops and to keep guessing until the end who the bad guy was.

It took me a few days to read this book, because it was not good writing. It was a 300-pager, meaning I can usually finish it within a day or two (If it is good writing).  I was amped to read this book, because the summary was promising and I love the title!

The summary:
Robert, a young traveller, finds himself in 
the small Ontario town of Sunshine,
in the middle of a party at the town's wildlife park. 
A stranger he picked up on the way has 
given him a dirty yellow notebook and told 
him to give it to an Alice Penderson. 
But Alice disappeared two years ago.

Six months before Robert's arrival , human 
remains have been recovered from the
local shoreline. Stoddart Fremlin has been
arrested on suspicion of murder. Daniel
Barrie, who was having an affair with Alice 
and who left for England immediately after
her disappearance, has unexpectedly 
returned. At the same time Rocket DeWitt,
one of the last people to see Alice alive,
has left town. And amid all this, there is 
a tiger on the loose.

This book didn't grab me in the beginning, which is absolutely crucial for most readers, even me! It took me two days just to get past the first few pages. I told myself to stick it out and try reading further.

There was way too many characters and way too many points of views! I couldn't keep track where the new characters fit into the story, or if they fit in at all? Most characters had NOTHING to do with Alice Penderson, who went missing. They were just filling up pages.
When I came to the end of the book, my reaction was WTF!!! Because the disappearance/murder of the Alice Penderson is still a MYSTERY.  Maybe that is why the book's name is 'The mysteries'. There is no follow-up on this book, I checked!

I am so disappointed that I spent so much time on this book. I could've just read the summary and I would know what happens in the book. Maybe this is an artsy book with deeper meaning and symbolism, but that is not why I read Crime Fiction! I want to solve the case! Not analyze a book! If I want to analyze books, I will go and study English Literature.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. This bookworm by heart is not happy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There is also another book with very bad writing, 'A stand up guy'. I did finish the book with also a "WTF" at the end, how did this book got published? It's a book about a comedian and his struggles in life. I'm never getting books with pretty covers.

Millenium Lady said...

There's a saying that goes: "Never judge a book by its cover!" ;) Yes, some books get published just to annoy the readers, I'm sure of it!