Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Open your mind a bit!

By Arnia Kiara Oosthuizen


Every once in a while, I get on my Soapbox and tell people what I really think.

I want to tell people to get with the program! I live in South-Africa and it is infamous for Apartheid that ended 20 years ago. I am 20 years old. Meaning that Apartheid wasn't even part of my life. But what irritates me the most, is people who can't move past it. Every part of their lives that don't go according to plan, is blamed on Apartheid.

If they can't get jobs, Apartheid's fault. If they struggle with education, it's Apartheid's fault... Yes, it happened and it was a bad and awful idea, but to keep holding on to the past, only makes that the past still has the power over you. You have not beaten the past, until you leave it, where it belongs... IN THE PAST!! What baffles my mind more is people the same age as me, who talk about Apartheid, as if they were there. You had half a brain at that time. So, I blame the parents for reliving the past, also for making their past, their children's present and future.

I thank my mom for raising me correctly and teaching me that everyone is equal. She raised me to be open-minded, to be understanding and to leave judgement to others.

No one has a choice of what race they will be. There is no menu for picking what you will look like, but you have a choice of you will become and be. No matter what circumstances you grew up in or how you were raised, you can choose who you become.

Everyone, including me, should stop judging and open our minds more to the Rainbow Nation that we should be.

How can you have so much hate for people, because of their skin color and the claim that you love others?


Gay, straight, black, white and whatever else there is, they are perfect just the way they are. How boring would life be if everyone thought, looked and did the same. I think it would be so boring that we would die at an early age.

To all those who are different in some sort of way.. GOOD FOR YOU!!!

"Why try to fit in, when you were born to stand out?" -Anon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

10 stars for this post, wait make it 50 :^) I also get tired of people who are racist and people who blame apartheid for everything. Sometimes I just want to pack my bags and go live in the nature because nature is not racist nor does it hate or judge. I wish one day this all can end and every one can live together peacefully.

Millenium Lady said...

Thanks for the comment. In nature it is survival of the fittest/best and I think we should apply those rules in job seeking as well. The best person gets the job... I believe it will be possible for people to live peacefully, if they are raised to think open-mindedly..