Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Funnies while working at Aardklop

By Arnia Kiara Oosthuizen

Aardklop is an Afrikaans musical festival here in South-Africa. But with every music festival, you get funny people, drunk people, angry people, they come in all shapes and sizes.

The awesome team I worked with

As part of our work, we were responsible for tearing the tickets, keeping late-comers out and showing people to their seats. Easy enough... That's what we thought...

One day, we were sitting outside while a show was already on for an half an hour, when a woman came storming up to us, furious. She was demanding that we let her in, but our job is to keep late-comers out. Her excuse is that we were supposed to fetch her in the car before the show started. Like I said our jobs entitled us to tear tickets, keep late-comers out and show people to their seats. Not to fetch them in their cars. My mom also taught me not to go close to strangers when they are sitting in their cars, that's when kidnappings happen...

My favorite artist, Karen Zoid


We also worked at the festival's main stage. We were responsible for checking the tickets of the Golden Circle audience. A man, three times my size, came to us, saying he wants to be in the Golden Circle, because the people at the gate charged him double for normal standing tickets. I told him that we cannot do that, because the people who actually paid for it, had allocated seats. He then attempted to climp over the rails. I went to stand in front of him and said, "Try me!", he then looked me deep in the eye and scoured away. I was scared of this huge man, but apparently I'm fierce.
We made the newspapers
The artist, Steve Hofmeyr, is very popular under the ladies for some unknown reason. The shows usually started at 7 pm at the main stage, but on the day of Steve Hofmeyr's performance, the ladies already took their seats from 9 am that morning. When he finally came on stage, the ladies went wild! They were screaming like crazy people. He then decided to walk between the audience, the ladies were touching him and when he came back on stage, he easily had 10 bras in his hands and over his head.

My friend, who worked with another group, was assaulted by a woman. She was an hour late for her show, but still demanded to be let in. The poor guy had a black eye to show for his bravery.

All in all, it was loads of fun. It was the best holiday job I ever had and the payment was also not bad. I, also met great people who became friends.


No comments: